Yamaha YM-2612 chips (2x): waar te vinden?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nick nova

Resonator
Hoi,

ik heb recent een MegaFM mkII van Twisted Electrons gekocht. Aardige interface, maar het klinkt me te clean met de YM3438 chips. Ik zou nu de YM2612 erin willen proberen, dewelke volgens mij heel wat dirtier klinken, wat ik wil.

Maar ze zijn moeilijk te vinden (op Ebay uit China voelt shady) en/of overpriced.

Kent er iemand nog een bron waar ik deze tegen normale prijs eventueel kan vinden? Of iemand die er nog heeft liggen?

Alle tips welkom.

Groetjes!

Googlde even en zag dta ze ook in een Sega Mega drive console zitten. Misschien zn unit kopen

Misschien is er wel iemand die units heeft die geen beeld meer geven. Dan maak het ook niet uit om de sound chip er uit te halen. Die dingen zijn vaak zonder adapter en stroomkabel. Moet echt een md adapter bij anders krijg je hem niet aan de praat. Zijn echt wel mensen dei losse units hebben liggen.

Omdat ik net een 2 heb, die net gemaakt is om chips te kunnen uitwisselen. Ik dacht dat ze bijna hetzelfde zouden klinken, maar nu denk ik dat het verschil toch behoorlijk groot is en dat de 1 best wat vuiler klinkt, wat ik net wou. Wie wil er nu een cleane 4op FM..

Er is vast wel iemand die de zijne net te ruw vindt klinken en met je wil ruilen. Ik was ook nooit zo onder de indruk van mijn gruizige DX27S.

"Now what if we swap the YM2612 in the Model1 for a YM3438?
The two chips are pin compatible so in theory it is pretty simple to remove the YM2612 in a model 1 and install a YM3438 instead. But remember that the two versions of the chip output differently so If you simply swap them over your genesis 1 will output garbage as sound. The genesis 1 onboard amp is inadequate for the 3438.

AFAIK this problem had not really been assessed and documented until earlier this year when a few modders, EvilDragon and Drakon among possibly others got in their mind to make this work. This concluded with a YM3438 working in a genesis 1 using a modified model 1 amplifier.

While this experiment was successful in the end it mostly went under the radar and was seen as a curiosity rather than something actually useful. One of the main reason for this is that it was assumed that the Discrete YM3438 was significantly inferior to the YM3438 that is integrated in the model 2 genesis. In other words the the stand-alone discrete YM3438 was seen as pretty much an equivalent of the YM2612 while the true superior chip was the FC1004 found in the model 2.

This is where I came in and repeated that experiment myself. However instead of using a modified model 1 amplifier on the discrete YM3438 I used the CCAM amp. It immediately struck me that the discrete YM3438 was being underrated and in fact was much more similar to the integrated YM3438 than was popularly admitted.

I also knew that simply saying so would be seen as: "well, thats just your opinion" and that this would be lost in the immensity of the internet all the while people would continue to occasionally speculate about it.

So i went a bit nut and decided to make this a big deal and do this blind test experiment to once and for all go to the bottom of the question and substitute all the talk by actual facts"

Bron: Discrete Vs. Integrated YM3438: Sega Genesis music blind test results. \ VOGONS

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Back