Some technical trivia
When we examined the original EPROM image, we found about 104 bytes of unused code space. This was not enough room for the features we hoped to implement. My plan was to switch to a larger EPROM to get more space, but this would have required soldering a wire to the chip (or to a small adapter board) and to a point in the AX80 to connect an additional address line. This would have put the upgrade out of reach of some. Luckily, we discovered that the Preset bank parameter values were each assigned a full EPROM byte, even if fewer bits could hold the same information. By packing the EPROM presets into the minimum number of bits needed, we reduced them from 45 bytes each to just 32. Since there are 32 of them, and we saved 13 bytes on each one, that freed up 416 bytes. But the code to unpack a preset took about 90 bytes, so the net gain was only 326 bytes or so. So now we had 430 bytes free. Time to start working on the new features. With all of the above features implemented, and (hopefully) working properly, we now have 4 bytes free.
[SPRING Collective recordlabel] || [EXPANSIONS DJ Collective]
www.springcollective.com || www.expansions.nl